Hometown Kennels & Grooming , Princeton, ON
|Posted on July 4, 2017 at 9:25 PM|
When you are meeting a dog for the first time you need to be aware of some basic precautions to protect yourself.
1. Be aware you are the stranger, this dog may want to protect their owner from you.
2. Expect the unexpected
3. "NEVER" turn your back on any unfamiliar dog when in your care.
4. Watch the dogs "body language" when greeting a new dog for any danger signs.
5. Do not take a strange dog out of the owners arms, have the owner put the dog down, and greet them on the ground.
6. Always move slowly.
7. Extend your hand in a clenched position or a fist, if they bite you will keep your fingers.
8. Don't stare directly into a dog's eye, this tells them you are challenging them.
9. Set your rules right away with a new dog, speak to the dog in a commanding voice.
Have fun and enjoy meeting new four legged friends, but alway protect yourself..........
Categories: Tips from your Groomer